Modern management should be based on ethical values. So, in this article, we will discuss the basic principles of business etiquette.
Ethical foundations of modern business
Business etiquette has great importance in professionals, as it is important for maintaining the image, building business relationships, and career advancement.
As a component of business ethics and theory а management, ethics of business relations determine the system of moral values, criteria, and parameters in the relationship between producers and consumers, between organizations, enterprises and the state, as well as in the relationship between managers and employees of the organization and in the organization as a whole.
Ethics of business relations performs functions not only moral evaluation but also is present in decision-making, which allows you to decide conflicting ethical issues in business and organizations. That is why rules and requirements of business ethics are developed and put into practice relationships that must be mastered by the future manager, the leader as in the learning process and in its practical work.
The notion of business etiquette
Business etiquette – the rules governing the style of work, manner behavior, and communication in solving business problems; it established order and norms of relations in the service, with management, in relations between colleagues, partners, and clients.
Peculiarities of business communication include:
- availability of a certain official status of objects;
- focus on establishing mutually beneficial contacts and maintaining relationships between representatives of mutually interested organizations;
- compliance with certain generally accepted and generally accepted rules;
- the predictability of pre-planned business contacts is determined by their purpose, content, and possible consequences;
- constructive nature of the relationship, their focus on solving specific tasks, achieving a specific goal, usually without going beyond the outlined range of problems;
- coherence of decisions, agreement, and further organization of interaction partners;
- significance of each partner as an individual;
- maintaining a certain distance between employees of different ranks;
- the ability to use arguments in a dispute, not power or authority, etc.
The main difference from the traditional concept is that the main role here is played by status and position, rather than the usual age and gender of interlocutors. The basic functions of business etiquette include the following:
- the formation of certain rules that promote human interaction during communication;
- the convenience, rationality, and practicality in interaction, which means the ability to obtain a code of behavior not because it is required, but because it is favorable according to a respectful attitude.
Rules of business etiquette
Economic activity, business, management can be successful carried out only in the presence of generally accepted ethical norms. There must be certain rules, that indicate which behavior is permissible and which is not. There is a list of common rules:
- Skillful management of personal time, planning the working day, setting priorities are the foundation for doing business and happy family life.
- Literate language is a structured presentation of opinions in essence.
- A sign of a good company is a loyal and dedicated staff. Whether you are a manager or an ordinary employee, the ability to keep the secrets of the company is one of the most valuable skills in the business world.
- Address by name. Personalization is the best way to show respect.